On this article we’ll take a look at utilizing meditation for sufferer mentality.
Sufferer mentality is a persona trait by which the person believes that they endure misfortune via no fault of their very own and sometimes via the wrongdoing of others.
Meditation may also help with sufferer mentality as a result of it provides us the facility to vary our perspective and develop new pondering habits and new attitudes.
Victimism or victimhood usually stems from occasions in childhood and is linked to a way of injustice by which the individual feels they’ve been wronged via no fault of their very own.
Meditation provides us the facility to take again our management sufferer syndrome. And the meditation beneath will make it easier to to just do that.
Utilizing Meditation for Sufferer Mentality
I personally suffered from sufferer mentality after I was an adolescent. My father drank… lots. And I had no management. A day can be day or a nasty day simply primarily based on his degree of drunkenness. That made me really feel powerless as a result of I had no management over whether or not a day was good of unhealthy. And so I developed the mentality that what I did didn’t matter in any respect and that I had no management over my actuality.
Meditation helped me overcome my sufferer mentality. It taught me to comprehend the facility that I do have, and to be pleased about the great in my life as a substitute of simply specializing in the destructive. And now I train different individuals to do the identical
There are quite a few methods how meditation helps with sufferer mentality. So let’s focus on them.
Meditation helps victims change thought patterns
One of many signs of sufferer mentality is destructive ideas. I used to inform myself that I don’t matter. And that thought, repeated many times, turned a perception.
The issue is that it’s tough to sluggish your thoughts so you possibly can hear your ideas. And you’ll want to hear your ideas earlier than you possibly can change them.
Meditation slows your thoughts so you possibly can pay attention to your ideas. And as soon as you’re conscious of your ideas you possibly can change them.
Realise the great in your life
Each single individual on Earth has each good and unhealthy issues occur to them. However sufferer mentality makes us give attention to the unhealthy. And this clearly results in unhappiness.
There are a lot of kinds of meditation that may make it easier to to see the great in your life. For example, Gratitude Meditation will make you conscious of all of the issues it’s important to be pleased about. And this could actually change your perspective on life.
Meditation helps victims forgive
One of many hardest issues about sufferer mentality is forgiveness. Sure, it’s arduous to forgive somebody who has wronged you. However till you forgive them you’ll all the time be tied to them and you’ll by no means transfer on.
Forgiveness usually requires a change of perspective. It requires us to grasp the human weaknesses that led one other individual to do us incorrect. For example, my father, whose ingesting damage me considerably. To maneuver on I needed to forgive time, and to forgive him I needed to perceive his weak spot, his sickness of alcoholism.
Forgiveness meditation strategies like Karuna and Tonglen may also help with this (extra on this later).
Meditation helps you overcome powerlessness
One other beauty of utilizing meditation for sufferer mentality is that it can provide us again our energy.
Sufferer mentality makes us suppose that we don’t have any management over our actuality. However after we mindfully observe the impact that our actions have on our lives, we begin to really feel empowered.
Greatest Meditation for Sufferer Mentality
The next meditation for sufferer mentality makes use of a mixture of aware respiratory, gratitude, compassion, and forgiveness. It’s how I overcame sufferer mentality.
- Sit comfortably with good posture. Shut your eyes.
- Focus in your breath shifting about your physique. Breathe for at least 25 breaths, mindfully observing every breath.
- Call to mind moments of your life that you’re grateful for. Bear in mind the great occasions in life. If it helps, you possibly can recite the mantra, “I’m grateful for [fill in the blank”. Continue to do this for 10 minutes and genuinely force yourself to remember good things that have happened to you.
- Bring to mind other people who have also suffered in life. Acknowledge their suffering. Now say (in your mind) “May this person be free from suffering”. And then imagine them saying the same thing back to you. This will help you to cultivate compassion.
- Continue to breathe mindfully for another 10 breaths and to feel more connected connected other people.
- Now bring to mind people who have wronged you. Do NOT do this with the main person you need to forgive. Start with forgiving people for smaller transgressions. Consider the struggles in their life and their human weaknesses. Realise that their mistakes are just human frailties, the kind of mistakes we all make. This will help you to cultivate forgiveness.
- Continue mindful breathing for 5 minutes. Now open your eyes.
- Decide one thing that you could do right now to make you feel empowered. Now go and do it.
This is the best meditation for victim mentality in my experience because it changes many of the symotoms of victimism.
If you would like help overcoming victim mentality, book an online meditation session with me today.
More on victim mentality
Signs of victim mentality include:
- Feeling like life is a series of unfair challenges
- Feeling like you have no control over negative aspects of your life
- Feeling like your life is mostly negative
- A need for sympathy
- Self pity
- Distrust of others
- Possibility of PTSD stemming from a past occurrence
There are many ways how to overcome victim mentality according to victimology:
- Charles R Snyder states the need for forgiveness
- Support groups
- Assertiveness techniques
- Normative decision theory
- Cognitive therapy