At HubSpot, we’re dedicated to constructing a tradition the place individuals can do their finest work. A few of us do our greatest work in an workplace, and a few of us work finest from a house workplace. That’s why, as our Tradition Code states, we’ve all the time believed that outcomes matter greater than when or the place they’re produced. Many HubSpotters have labored absolutely remotely for years now, with about 10% of staff working remotely even earlier than the COVID-19 pandemic. However we’ve traditionally been extra remote-friendly than remote-first.
In different phrases, HubSpot has been a “remote-ish” firm.
However like many organizations in 2020, we’ve realized that we have to evolve. The way forward for work isn’t coming; it’s already right here. In a latest survey from Gallup, 59% of individuals want to hold working remotely as a lot as doable even after COVID-19 lockdowns are lifted. Our personal worker information displays the shift to distant, too: Two-thirds of HubSpotters plan to work remotely extra typically as soon as our places of work re-open, and roughly 16% are fascinated about shifting to a full-time distant set-up, along with lots of of staff who’re already distant.
It’s not solely staff who’re altering how they work both. It’s our candidates, too. The share of distant job postings in comparison with all postings on LinkedIn grew 91% from the primary week of March 2020 to the final week of April 2020 (supply: Quick Firm). Wonderful candidates more and more count on versatile work, and as employers, we’ll miss out on nice individuals if we don’t adapt. Hiring remotely is a big alternative to extend entry to expertise, particularly expertise outdoors our current networks, cities, and native campuses. As an organization that’s devoted to variety, inclusion, and belonging, we’re actively engaged on diversifying our candidate group and consider distant work will probably be basic in that. Creating extra distant jobs in tech isn’t only a profit to organizations, both. It will probably create extra alternatives for individuals to construct work round their lives, and never the opposite approach round. We consider entry to a profession in tech shouldn’t be decided by your zip code. We’re excited concerning the potentialities distant work opens up for people in rural areas who traditionally haven’t had the choice to pursue a job they love from the place they’re.
That’s one key cause we’re enthusiastic about the way forward for work. And whereas the previous few months have been difficult for companies, staff, and candidates alike, it’s made one factor clearer than ever to us at HubSpot: work isn’t a spot. Our tradition isn’t tied to areas, it’s rooted in our values, our wonderful individuals, and our mission of serving to thousands and thousands of organizations develop higher.
That’s why in 2021, HubSpot will drop the “ish” in “remote-ish.” We’re going to shift to a hybrid remote-office mannequin the place profession development is equitable for everybody, whether or not you do your finest work in an workplace or in a house workplace. It’s the best factor to do for our staff and candidates, and for rising an organization we’re pleased with long-term.
HubSpot’s New Imaginative and prescient for Work
Starting in January 2021, HubSpot staff could have three choices to select from based mostly on how they do their finest work:
- @workplace: You come right into a HubSpot workplace 3 or extra days per week. You might have a devoted desk to your laptop computer, monitor, household photographs, crops, and the rest that makes your workspace really yours. Past taking your HubSpot laptop computer residence should you’d prefer to, staff who’re @workplace gained’t get an at-home desk set-up.
- @flex: You come right into a HubSpot workplace 2 or fewer days per week. While you come to the workplace, you’ll be allotted a “resort desk”, which will probably be organized by crew when doable. Since you opted-out of devoted desk area in an workplace, HubSpot will assist help your work-from-home (WFH) set-up.
- @residence: You’re employed the vast majority of your time from residence in a HubSpot-approved entity. HubSpot makes certain your WFH set-up is secure, sound, and units you up for fulfillment.
As of January 2021, new staff will select their choice earlier than their begin date, and all staff could have the possibility to vary the choice as soon as per 12 months. Our hope is that by having a menu of choices, staff can really work when and the place it’s finest for them. If a task is actually required to be @workplace, we’ll observe it proper up entrance within the job description, eradicating any friction from our candidate expertise with regard to what flexibility is obtainable for every function.
To make this expertise really inclusive, whether or not you’re at residence or working in a HubSpot workplace, we’re making commitments and modifications to our tradition and recruiting approaches to set HubSpotters up for fulfillment in a hybrid world:
- Location-agnostic advantages & perks: In 2021 and 2022, we’ll be introducing advantages and perks that you simply don’t have to come back to a HubSpot workplace to take pleasure in.
- Supervisor expectations & trainings: Shifting ahead, an expectation of nice management at HubSpot would be the skill to construct and develop high-performing groups remotely. Folks managers and leaders at HubSpot will obtain coaching, workshops, and help for constructing psychological security, inclusive hiring, and extra, just about.
- Distant job openings: For 2021, our aim will probably be to publish 70% of HubSpot roles as location-agnostic on our careers web site, if positioned inside the hiring nation. HubSpot will rent remotely in areas the place we have now entities and are arrange for distant work. Try our Careers homepage to be taught extra about our areas all over the world.
- Truthful and clear hiring processes: We wish to create equal entry to profession development at HubSpot, and that usually begins with recruiting. We’re centered on iterating our hiring and interview processes to be wholly inclusive of distant candidates, and on creating an incredible candidate expertise by offering sources and prep supplies for digital interviewing.
- Distant-first onboarding: New rent onboarding shifted to fully-remote globally earlier this 12 months, and we’ll proceed to evolve the expertise in order that new HubSpotters are arrange for development from day one no matter their location or time zone. We additionally care deeply about making the brand new rent expertise exceptional, and so we’ll iterate on the alternatives to satisfy individuals, community, and really feel linked to our mission and imaginative and prescient, no matter which work choice they select or the area they work from.
As our co-founder and CTO, Dharmesh Shah, mentioned in his INBOUND 2019 keynote: The way forward for work is versatile. That’s why we’re grateful to have had a head begin on distant work and in constructing a tradition of flexibility. Over the previous few years, we’ve realized rather a lot from our group of distant HubSpotters, and by bringing on a beautiful Distant Work and Inclusion Program Supervisor in 2019. The COVID-19 pandemic accelerated our tempo, however turning into a hybrid firm that empowers distant and in-office work equitably was the place the long run was headed for HubSpot.
Hopefully, this transparency into how we’re evolving our tradition and firm for the long run is useful as you’re evaluating HubSpot as a spot to work, constructing our a plan to your personal firm’s return to work, or questioning what it will likely be prefer to associate with HubSpot and our crew sooner or later. You possibly can count on to listen to extra from us over the following few months about our transfer to a very hybrid firm and tradition. And in HubSpot vogue, we’ll share our learnings, wins, and errors alongside the best way in our journey to construct an excellent place to work from wherever.
In the event you’re fascinated about open positions at HubSpot, go to our Careers web site to be taught extra, or comply with HubSpot Life on Instagram, Twitter, or Fb to get a glimpse inside working at HubSpot.