I’m typically requested about how I strategy New Yr’s resolutions. The reality is that I not strategy them in any respect, though I did for many years. Why the change? I’ve discovered “previous yr evaluations” (PYR) extra knowledgeable, beneficial, and actionable than half-blindly trying ahead with broad resolutions. I did my first PYR after a mentor’s younger daughter died of most cancers on December thirty first, roughly eight years in the past, and I’ve executed it yearly since. It takes 30-60 minutes and appears like this:
- Seize a notepad and create two columns: POSITIVE and NEGATIVE.
- Undergo your calendar from the final yr, taking a look at each week.
- For every week, jot down on the pad any individuals or actions or commitments that triggered peak constructive or detrimental feelings for that month. Put them of their respective columns.
- When you’ve gone by way of the previous yr, take a look at your notepad checklist and ask, “What 20% of every column produced probably the most dependable or highly effective peaks?”
- Based mostly on the solutions, take your “constructive” leaders and schedule extra of them within the new yr. Get them on the calendar now! Guide issues with mates and prepay for actions/occasions/commitments that you already know work. It’s not actual till it’s within the calendar. That’s the 1st step. Step two is to take your “detrimental” leaders, put “NOT-TO-DO LIST” on the prime, and put them someplace you possibly can see them every morning for the primary few weeks of 2022. These are the individuals and stuff you *know* make you depressing, so don’t put them in your calendar out of obligation, guilt, FOMO, or different nonsense.
That’s it! For those who attempt it, let me know the way it goes.
And simply keep in mind: it’s not sufficient to take away the detrimental. That merely creates a void. Get the constructive issues on the calendar ASAP, lest they get crowded out by the bullshit and noise that can in any other case fill your days.
Good luck and godspeed, everybody!
For those who favor to hearken to the audio model of this weblog submit, you could find the audio on The Tim Ferriss Present podcast:
#559: Neglect New Yr’s Resolutions and Conduct a ‘Previous Yr Overview’ As a substitute
Associated and Advisable
The Tim Ferriss Present is one of the most well-liked podcasts on the earth with greater than 700 million downloads. It has been chosen for “Better of Apple Podcasts” 3 times, it’s typically the #1 interview podcast throughout all of Apple Podcasts, and it has been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many events. To hearken to any of the previous episodes without cost, try this web page.