Non-capitalized topic traces, an improper greeting, the usage of “LOL” or every other type of Web/textual content message slang, emoticons, lack of punctuation, attachments with no content material within the e mail physique, and mass advertising and marketing emails that attempt to be private however fall flat.
OK, I’ve been responsible of doing the entire above a few times, however 99.9 p.c of the time I keep away from making these errors that will lead my colleagues to imagine I’m both lazy or simply plain uneducated. Whereas I’ve been working with the identical individuals for greater than a yr now, I’m nonetheless fairly low on the totem pole and will present my true professionalism at each alternative.
So why do I get emails from colleagues positioned under and above me, or from individuals whom I’ve by no means met, that say “Hey – right here you go” or “Thanks instances a billion gajillion 🙂 🙂 :).” I could also be improper, however the final time I checked “gajillion” wasn’t a phrase. And following the usage of a pretend phrase with a sequence of emoticons is simply embarrassing, for you and me.
I’m beginning to suppose that expertise is making it too straightforward for us Millenials to overlook we’re certainly working professionals. Simply because it’s OK to textual content a good friend saying, “Hey woman, see ya in an hour,” doesn’t imply that’s additionally a great way to remind your consumer that you’ll meet them for espresso later.
Listed below are a couple of guidelines I consider when sending emails to colleagues:
- Write a topic line that truly pertains to the content material of the e-mail.
- Embrace a greeting. The reader’s identify adopted by a comma is okay and “Hello [reader’s name],” is suitable for a extra pleasant tone.
- Preserve the physique content material quick and concise.
- When unsure, use “Thanks, [your name]” or “Finest, [your name]” to finish your e mail. Merely leaving your e mail signature as a stand-alone log off may be seen as unfriendly.
- Earlier than sending, learn the e-mail as for those who’d obtained it. Delete any content material that could possibly be seen as impolite or abrupt, even when that’s not your intent.
- Remember whenever you “reply all”. Does everybody on the chain must learn your response?
- Keep in mind that writing in all-caps is seen as yelling. In case your e mail is vital, use the high-priority button.
- By no means, ever use Web/textual content slang or an emoticon. It’s like begging for somebody to consider you as an uneducated, technology-consumed Millennial.
What do you suppose? Are my guidelines on level or too strict? When you have e mail pet-peeves, tell us!