Title: Joseph Wihbey
Class 12 months: 2016
Title: Mechanical Engineer
1. In a single sentence, what does your job entail?
I’m a mechanical designer that designs, analyzes, and particulars take a look at machines for Sikorsky helicopter parts.
2. What deliberate and unplanned occasions linked you to your trade and your first employer after Holy Cross? How did you be taught/determined it was an excellent match for you?
I had at all times deliberate on pursuing engineering. I used to be uncertain of which engineering area I might be most thinking about. My expertise inside the Holy Cross physics division helped me determine on mechanical engineering.
3. What had been you concerned in once you had been on campus?
I used to be concerned in on-campus analysis – I studied atomic physics in Professor Oxley’s lab. The hands-on experiments I took half in by Professor Oxley’s lab had been very formative and a significant inspiration. I used to be additionally concerned in SPUD and Observe and Discipline.
4. What was your main and the way did it have an effect on your profession choices?
I used to be a 3-2 engineering scholar at Holy Cross. I studied physics at Holy Cross and mechanical engineering at Columbia. In each majors, I acquired to make use of numerous math – notably calculus and differential equations. I needed a job the place I might be capable to use these math expertise regularly. I really feel very fortunate that in my present position I’m continually referring again to my school textbooks and making use of what I realized at school.
5. What are one or two expertise that you just developed at Holy Cross that you just use in your work?
Taking detailed notes! Quite a bit can occur in the middle of the day, between conferences and different kinds of distractions, and conserving a pocket book has helped me keep on process.
6. What recommendation do you’ve gotten for college kids right now?
Reap the benefits of the liberal arts curriculum! Attempt not to think about the frequent necessities as a chore, however as a chance to strive one thing new.