Welcome to our basement household room, what might very effectively be essentially the most difficult design mission in this home. This area is massive and oddly formed with tons of character. There are many alternatives to design intentional areas for our household to hang around, host, and make reminiscences.
Let’s dive into our design plans for this area!
Why we need to replace the design of the basement household room
We didn’t use the basement very a lot within the first 12 months we lived right here. It type of grew to become a dumping floor for stuff reasonably than a spot we felt drawn to spend time. We did dangle a TV and create a sitting space round it, though we’ve hardly ever discovered ourselves making use of the area. This a part of our residence has fairly a big footprint and we need to flip it into an area we’re truly using.
Our targets for this mission
Joe and I started the design course of lately by deliberately enthusiastic about the first functions we would like this area to serve for our household. Right here’s what we got here up with.
- One in every of our greatest design targets is to make this darkish area really feel lighter and brighter.
- We need to create a very stress-free area the place we will have a film night time, watch sports activities, and let the children really go wild—construct forts, play with nerf weapons, and so forth. Proper now our inexperienced household room serves this goal upstairs, nevertheless it’s not precisely supposed to be a spot the children can actually let unfastened and have enjoyable. To an extent, the basement household space already meets this purpose, however we need to discover structure and furnishings choices that can actually assist maximize this goal.
- We wish this to be a very snug area the place prolonged relations can keep after they come over. We have already got a small kitchenette and a rest room within the basement, and we might look into including one other sleeping choice (on prime of our present pull-out couch mattress).
- We additionally love wine and entertaining so we need to think about methods to make extra use of the adjoining wine room.
Right here’s what we’ve up to date to date
- Painted a part of the brick white (You’ll be able to see this space within the picture under.)
- Painted the partitions within the household room space white (Beforehand, the partitions had been a tan coloration.)
- Added a small kitchenette in early 2021, which has served us effectively (particularly in the course of the upstairs kitchen rework)
- Sorted by way of the aforementioned stuff and made quite a few Goodwill donation journeys
These are the extra updates we plan to make
Make the area lighter and brighter. Right here’s what we’ll do to realize this:
- Paint the woodwork white
- Paint the ceiling white (We’ll seemingly go away the beams on the ceiling their pure wooden coloration.)
- Paint the rest of the brick white
- Paint over the wall tile within the kitchenette hallway (You’ll be able to see this space on this weblog submit.)
- Probably add wallpaper
Determine on a structure
I’ll begin by making a normal flooring plan (I take advantage of floorplanner.com) to assist determine a structure that can work higher for our wants. It will embrace concepts for higher storage and concepts for how you can make the most effective use of the “nook” areas subsequent to the closets. The structure may even inform what measurement furnishings items will work finest within the area.
Determine on design finishes and furnishings
I’ll create temper boards that can assist us make choices about design items like rugs, tables, seating choices, and furnishings that may present storage options. We’ll additionally look into whether or not we need to swap out the overhead lighting for one thing completely different.
The estimated timeline for these updates
- Paint: January/February 2022
- Structure/temper boards: January/February 2022
- Wallpaper: Spring 2022
- Furnishings: Summer time 2022 (Fingers crossed, relying on delivery timelines!)
- Lighting: Summer time 2022
Keep tuned for extra particulars!