“By way of koans, you may meet within the boundless surprise of this different dimension of our expertise.“
— Henry Shukman
Henry Shukman (@mountaincloudzencenter) teaches mindfulness and awakening practices to a variety of scholars from all traditions and walks of life. Henry is an appointed instructor within the Sanbo Zen lineage and is the Guiding Instructor of Mountain Cloud Zen Heart. He has an MA from Cambridge and an MLitt from St Andrews and has written a number of award-winning books of poetry and fiction.
Henry’s essays have been revealed in The New York Occasions, Exterior, and Tricycle, and his poems have been revealed in The New Republic, The Guardian, The Sunday Occasions (UK), and London Overview of Books. He has taught meditation at Google, Harvard Enterprise College, UBS, Esalen Institute, Colorado Faculty, United World Faculty, and plenty of different venues. He has written of his personal journey in his memoir One Blade of Grass: Discovering the Outdated Street of the Coronary heart, a Zen Memoir.
Henry has additionally just lately created a brand new meditation program, Authentic Love, which goals to offer a broad, inclusive path of development by meditation.
Please get pleasure from!
Delivered to you by GiveWell.org charity analysis and efficient giving, Laird Superfood clear, plant-based creamers, and LinkedIn Jobs recruitment platform with 770M+ customers. Extra on all three beneath.
#560: Zen Grasp Henry Shukman — 20 Minutes of Calm, Plus the Unusual and Highly effective World of Koans
This episode is dropped at you by Laird Superfood. Based by big-wave surfer Laird Hamilton and volleyball champion Gabby Reece, Laird Superfood guarantees to ship high-impact gas that will help you get by your busiest days. Laird Superfood gives a line of plant-based merchandise designed to optimize your every day rituals from dawn to sundown.
My two favourite merchandise are their Turmeric Superfood Creamer and Unsweetened Superfood Creamer. I put one among them in virtually all the pieces. Each can actually optimize your every day espresso or tea ritual, and a $10 bag will final you a very long time. For a restricted time, Laird Superfood is providing you guys 20% off your order if you use code TIM20 at checkout. Try LairdSuperfood.com/Tim to see my favourite merchandise and study extra.
This episode is dropped at you by GiveWell.org! For over ten years, GiveWell.org has helped donors discover the charities and initiatives that save and enhance lives most per greenback. GiveWell spends over 20,000 hours every year researching charitable organizations and solely recommends a couple of of the highest-impact, evidence-backed charities they’ve discovered. In whole, greater than 50,000 individuals have used GiveWell to donate as successfully as potential.
This 12 months, help the charities that save and enhance lives most, with GiveWell. Any of my listeners who develop into new GiveWell donors could have their first donation matched as much as $250 if you go to GiveWell.org and choose “PODCAST” and “Tim Ferriss” at checkout.
This episode is dropped at you by LinkedIn Jobs. Whether or not you want to rent now for a important function or excited about wants that you’ll have sooner or later, LinkedIn Jobs might help. LinkedIn screens candidates for the laborious and smooth expertise you’re on the lookout for and places your job in entrance of candidates on the lookout for job alternatives that match what it’s important to supply.
Utilizing LinkedIn’s energetic neighborhood of greater than 770 million professionals worldwide, LinkedIn Jobs might help you discover and rent the best particular person quicker. When what you are promoting is able to make that subsequent rent, discover the best particular person with LinkedIn Jobs. And now, you may publish a job at no cost. Simply go to LinkedIn.com/Tim.
What was your favourite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know within the feedback.
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES…
Wish to catch Henry Shukman’s final look on this present? Take heed to our dialog right here during which we talk about inspecting the deep wounds of childhood trauma, how the phenomenon of awakening compares and contrasts with psychotic episodes, Zen tramps, what koans are and the way they information us towards nonduality, why Henry considers the time period “non-ordinary consciousness”– when utilized to an woke up thoughts — a misnomer, if somebody can have a “dangerous journey” by Zen, and way more.
#531: Henry Shukman — Zen, Instruments for Awakening, Ayahuasca vs. Meditation, Intro to Koans, and Utilizing Wounds because the Doorway
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- Join with Henry Shukman:
- A New Strategy to the Historic Path of Awakening | Authentic Love
- One Blade of Grass: Discovering the Outdated Street of the Coronary heart, a Zen Memoir by Henry Shukman | Amazon
- Different Books by Henry Shukman | Amazon
- Henry Shukman — Zen, Instruments for Awakening, Ayahuasca vs. Meditation, Intro to Koans, and Utilizing Wounds because the Doorway | The Tim Ferriss Present #531
- Tame Reactive Feelings by Naming Them | Conscious
- Diana Chapman — Easy methods to Get Unstuck, Do “The Work,” Take Radical Accountability, and Cut back Drama in Your Life | The Tim Ferriss Present #536
- Nature’s Classes in Therapeutic Trauma: An Introduction to Somatic Experiencing by Peter Levine | Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute
- Conscious Somatic Psychotherapy | Hakomi Institute
- Why Saying “Boys Don’t Cry” Hurts Boys and Males | Blackburn Heart
- Terra Incognita | Wikipedia
- Not Realizing Is Most Intimate | Marc Lesser
- What Is A Zen Koan? Historical past And Interpretation Of Koans | Being Zen
- Easy methods to Apply Zen Koans | Lion’s Roar
- 15 of the Deepest Zen Koans | Knowledge Drugs
- Chan Buddhism | Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Tang Dynasty | World Historical past Encyclopedia
- Nonduality: Defining the Undefinable | Deconstructing Your self
- Koan | Wikipedia
- Psilocybin Acutely Alters the Purposeful Connectivity of the Claustrum with Mind Networks That Assist Notion, Reminiscence, and Consideration | NeuroImage
- Meditation Alters Mind Connectivity in Areas Related to Emotion, MRI Reveals | Well being Imaging
- Jorge Ferrer: The Problem of Shared Psychedelic Visions for Scientific Materialism | Worldwide Transpersonal Convention
- Kenshō | Wikipedia
- J.D. Salinger and a Zen Koan by Henry Shukman | Tricycle: The Buddhist Overview
- Sanbo Kyodan | Wikipedia
- Tune Dynasty | World Historical past Encyclopedia
- The Blue Cliff Report | Amazon
- The Guide of Equanimity: Illuminating Basic Zen Koans | Amazon
- The Gateless Gate: The Basic Guide of Zen Koans | Amazon
- Flowing Bridge: The Miscellaneous Koans | Amazon
- How Does a Zen Grasp Decide When a Pupil’s Reply to a Koan Is Right? | Quora
- What’s Mu in Zen Buddhist Apply? | Be taught Religions
- Buddhist Idea of Vacancy | Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Oxford Brookes College
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit | Prime Video
- Buddhism Is Not a Therapy for Psychological Sickness | Lion’s Roar
- Waking Up with Sam Harris App
- The 4-Hour Physique: An Unusual Information to Fast Fats Loss, Unbelievable Intercourse, and Turning into Superhuman by Timothy Ferriss | Amazon
- Dharma Transmission | Wikipedia
- Vipassana Meditation | Dhamma.org
- Prime 5 Main Beliefs in Tibetan Buddhism | Tibet Journey
- Aldous Huxley: The Decreasing Valve Idea | Nexus Void
- Donald Hoffman: Do We See Actuality as It Is? | TED Speak
- Do Psychedelics Develop the Thoughts by Decreasing Mind Exercise? | Scientific American
- The Case In opposition to Actuality: Why Evolution Hid the Fact from Our Eyes by Donald Hoffman | Amazon
- How Totally different Languages Say “It’s All Greek to Me.” | The Language Nerds
- How does Henry take care of surprising curveballs the sport of life typically throws our manner? [05:18]
- “To call it’s to tame it.” What are the traits of permitting/not permitting and accepting/not accepting, and the way may somebody consciously manifest them when making an attempt to determine and proper what’s upsetting their steadiness? Henry mellifluously leads us by an train. [11:46]
- Issues to think about once we’re having issue pinpointing and processing the feelings we’re experiencing (to which many males within the West could relate). [25:25]
- For anybody not conversant in Henry’s first look on this present, what’s a koan, and the way do they work? [35:14]
- For the wholesome skeptics amongst us: why the states towards which koans are designed to information us aren’t “woo woo,” however scientifically documented. [47:14]
- How can the expertise of “awakening” be defined to somebody who’s by no means skilled it? [52:01]
- What number of koans are there, and what number of has Henry handed? [55:24]
- What are the checking questions that decide whether or not or not a koan has been handed? As soon as somebody has handed a koan, are they accomplished with it? [1:00:02]
- Sitting with Mu and Roger Rabbit. [1:04:22]
- What isn’t a koan? [1:11:49]
- There’s no enterprise like Kenshō enterprise. Is it potential for somebody to expertise one thing that is perhaps perceived as a psychotic break in the event that they expertise awakening however don’t have a framework to make sense of it? [1:16:11]
- Utilizing koans for meditation. [1:25:31]
- How does somebody who’s model new to Zen separate a reliable instructor from a charlatan? [1:27:13]
- What’s a Dharma transmission? [1:32:43]
- Do shared psychedelic visions have something in frequent with the “proper” solutions to a koan’s checking questions? In different phrases, is somebody who experiences Kenshō extending their senses into the identical unseen world as somebody on, say, an ayahuasca journey? [1:37:42]
- Parting ideas. [1:57:48]
MORE QUOTES FROM THE INTERVIEW
“To call it’s to tame it.”
— Dr. Daniel Siegel
“A koan isn’t an annoying, boring, little, pointless factor. It’s bought an unbelievable objective, which is sharing this deepest actuality of our existence.”
— Henry Shukman
“Within many people, I imagine there’s some type of deep, primordial wound. There’s some deep, historic grief. [But] … grief just isn’t an enemy.”
— Henry Shukman
“I can’t imagine how lucky it’s to be a human being.”
— Henry Shukman
“Koans love the world a lot”
— Henry Shukman
“We sit with koans as a result of they’ll open us as much as this endless actuality. Ongoing past a primary expertise, they practice us increasingly in realizing that our odd life and that mind-blowing actuality, they’re not separate.”
— Henry Shukman
“By way of koans, you may meet within the boundless surprise of this different dimension of our expertise.”
— Henry Shukman
Associated and Really helpful
The Tim Ferriss Present is one of the most well-liked podcasts on this planet with greater than 700 million downloads. It has been chosen for “Better of Apple Podcasts” 3 times, it’s typically the #1 interview podcast throughout all of Apple Podcasts, and it has been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many events. To take heed to any of the previous episodes at no cost, take a look at this web page.